Monday, October 16, 2006

Entry for October 16, 2006

She IS a poet.

Joni Mitchell - A Case Of You

Just before our love got lost you said,
"I am as constant as a northern star."
And I said, "Constantly in the darkness
Where's that at?
If you want me I'll be in the bar."

On the back of a cartoon coaster
In the blue TV screen light
I drew a map of Canada
Oh Canada
With your face sketched on it twice

Oh, you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you, darling
And I would still be on my feet
Oh I would still be on my feet

Oh I am a lonely painter
I live in a box of paints
I'm frightened by the devil
And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid
I remember that time you told me, you said,
"Love is touching souls"
Surely you touched mine
'Cause part of you pours out of me
In these lines from time to time

Oh, you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you, darling
Still, I'd be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

I met a woman
She had a mouth like yours
She knew your life
She knew your devils and your deeds
And she said,
"Go to him, stay with him if you can
But be prepared to bleed"

Oh but you are in my blood
You're my holy wine
You're so bitter, bitter and so sweet
Oh, I could drink a case of you, darling
Still I'd be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

6 comments:

  1. ALL I WANT

    I am on a lonely road and I am traveling
    traveling, traveling, traveling
    Looking for something, what can it be
    Oh I hate you some, I hate you some
    I love you some

    Oh I love you when I forget about me
    I want to be strong, I want to laugh along
    I want to belong to the living
    Alive, alive, I want to get up and jive
    I want to wreck my stockings in some juke box dive
    Do you want -- do you want -- do you want
    to dance with me baby
    Do you want to take a chance
    on maybe finding some sweet romance with me baby
    Well, come on

    All I really really want our love to do
    is to bring out the best in me and in you too
    All I really really want our love to do
    is to bring out the best in me and in you
    I want to talk to you, I want to shampoo you
    I want to renew you again and again
    Applause, applause -- Life is our cause
    When I think of your kisses
    my mind see-saws
    Do you see -- do you see -- do you see
    how you hurt me baby
    So I hurt you too
    then we both get so blue

    I am on a lonely road and I am traveling
    looking for the key to set me free
    Oh the jealousy, the greed is the unraveling
    It's the unraveling
    and it undoes all the joy that could be
    I want to have fun, I want to shine like the sun
    I want to be the one that you want to see
    I want to knit you a sweater
    Want to write you a love letter
    I want to make you feel better
    I want to make you feel free
    Hmm, Hmm, Hmm, Hmm,
    Want to make you feel free
    I want to make you feel free

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anh Linh dao nay hay nghe Joni Mitchell nhi? Em thich nhat la bai All I Want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hôm nay anh mới nghe lại Joni Mitchell đấy chứ, hôm trước chỉ tình ờ nghe lại bài Carey thôi.

    Đọc lyrics mới thấy Joni Mitchell quả là great songwriter, tâm hồn rất nhạy cảm và khả năng truyền thụ cảm xúc tinh tế. Các bài hát của Joni thường có những chi tiết rất bất ngờ, có tính sáng tạo và giàu hình ảnh, rất hòa hợp với theme chung của bài.

    Ví dụ như bài All I want kia, có thể thấy rất nhiều cảm xúc tiềm ẩn trong những câu thơ/nhạc tưởng chừng đơn giản: buồn bã, yêu thương, ghen tuông, đau khổ, vui sướng, hạnh phúc, cô đơn, giận dỗi và cả ironic khi biết lý trí cũng bất lực trước tình yêu.
    Nhiều câu cho vào nghe rất yêu như "I want to knit you a sweater". How lovely it is! Hoặc "All I really really want our love to do is to bring out the best in me and in you too". So true.

    Nói chung trong 10 bài của Joni ở album Blues thì chắc có lẽ gần như cả 10 có thể cho điểm từ 9 tới 10. Album này chắc là một trong những album hay nhất mà anh từng nghe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Philosophical poetry, breezy music. One impeccable combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mình chẳng bao giờ nuốt nổi nhạc chị này.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mình rất thích nghe Joni Mitchell, lời hát như những câu chuyện tình thi vị trôi miên man từ quá khứ đến hiện tại, giọng hát mềm mại đầy tâm tư, những luyến láy vừa tình cảm vừa phảng phất sự tiếc nuối và nỗi buồn day dứt...

    ReplyDelete